Thursday, May 14, 2009

I’m glad to be a teacher

    I would rather be a teacher than a bookkeeper
For he balances accounts, but I help balance lives.

    I would rather be a teacher than a great business executive
For he works with facts and figures and lifeless coins, but I
    work with minds that open and futures that unfold and
        principles that grow.

    I would rather be a teacher than an orator
For an orator stirs an adult to applaud and admiration, but I
        stir little children to right choosing and noble thinking.

    I would rather be a teacher than a musician
For a musician plays on violin strings and piano strings, but I
        play on the heartstrings.

    I would rather be a teacher than a decorator
For he deals with perspective and harmony and line in
        templates not made with hands.

    I would rather be a teacher than a potter
For he shapes vessels of clay, but I shape destinies.

    I would rather be a teacher than an interpreter
For he interprets words and ideas, but I interpret motives and
        purposes and endeavours.

    I would rather be a teacher than an archaeologist
For he unearths buried treasure, but I unearth talent.

    I would rather be a teacher than an explorer
For he explores unchartered seas but, I explore unchartered
        minds and discover treasure islands and continents of
                untold possibilities.

    I would rather be a teacher than a statesman
For he deals with finished citizens but I deal with future citizens.

    I would rather be a teacher than a scientist
     For he studies the wonders of the rocks and beauty of
the stars and the miracles of the plants and the glory of the skies
    I deal with that which is still more miraculous in the
     throbbing human hearts, unfolding human lives and the
        formation of lifetime characters.

Reprinted from October 1958 Journal of True Education


SELAMAT HARI GURU 2009 KEPADA SEMUA GURU.

No comments:

Post a Comment